Petros Markaris (b. 1937) was born in Constantinople. He studied economics and, since 1976, has been working as a freelance writer. He is a novelist, playwright, scriptwriter and translator.
- Night Report, Athens: Gavrielidis, 1995. [Translated into French, German, Italian, Spanish and Turkish].
- Defence Zone, Athens: Gavrielidis, 1998. [Translated into English and German].
- "The Tale of Ali Retzo".
- "The Epic of King Ubu" (Based on the work by Alfred Jarry).
- "The Guests".
- "Just Like Horses".
- "Lucrezia Borgia".
- "Days of '36" (Film script)
- "Alexander the Great" (Film script)
- "The Stork's Suspended Step" (Film script)
- "Ulysses' Gaze" (Film script)
- "Eternity and a Day" (Film script)
- "Anatomy of a Crime" (TV script)
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, Faust.
- Frank Wedekind, The Awakening of Spring and Pandora's Box.
- Arthur Schnitzler, The Merry-go-round.
- Berthold Brecht, The Weddings of the Bourgeois, Baal, Fear and Misery in the Third Reich, The Life of Galileo, Mother Courage and her Children, The Chalk Circle, Tales of Mr Koiner.
- Peter Weiss, The Interrogation.
- Franz Xaver Kroetz, Neither Hot Nor Cold.
- Thomas Bernhard, Destination.